Organization Name: Action Against Hunger
Job Title: Information Technology (IT)
Job Type: Full Time
Job Location: Somalia
Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia Since May 1992. Currently, Action Against Hunger is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security and the livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and Responsibilities:
Action Against Hunger Somalia is looking for a suitable Somali National to fill the position of IT Officer. The position will be based in Mogadishu -Somalia. The IT Officer reports hierarchically to the Head of Logistics Department and technically to the IT Manager
The IT Officer is responsible for the smooth running of the mission’s Information Technology (computer software and hardware, internet and telecommunications), providing the necessary support and indispensable guidance to ensure that Action Against Hunger Information and Communication Technology (ICT) standards are upheld and equipment is used correctly.
The IT Officer‘s core responsibilities will include but not limited to the following:
Mission 1: Maintain the mission’s IT environment and telecommunications resources:
To be carried out as specified in the “Kitlog” (Logistics Kit) under the supervision of the head of the logistics department in collaboration with the IT and telecommunications managers at the Paris & Newyork headquarters.
- Ensuring that all the mission’s workstations adhere to Action Against Hunger’s IT standards;
- Ensuring that the necessary communication equipment is available in the mission;
- Maintaining equipment (IT and telecoms) and conducting daily/monthly checks to ensure that maintenance tasks have been completed; Including maintenance of equipment lists
- Monitoring and tracking the mission’s IT and telecoms resource pool;
- Monthly reporting to the head of the logistics department and managing any end-of-contract donations;
- Managing relationships with external suppliers (maintenance and repair services, etc.)
- Maintaining an ongoing technological watch for new developments in the country or region in IT and telecommunications
Mission 2: Maintain local networks, internet connections and telecommunications resources
The officer of IT works with equipment and IT service providers, internet and network services and the heads of IT of other organisations to complete these tasks.
- Installing and maintaining local networks at the bases and network connected peripherals;
- Capitalizing on technical documentation on the network and internet connection to produce a detailed mapping;
- Capitalizing on technical documentation on the mission’s telecommunications;
- Managing relationships with local telecommunications suppliers (internet, fixed and mobile telephone companies etc.) and rationalising associated costs;
- Maintaining an ongoing technological watch across internet and telecommunications service providers
Mission 3: Implement and monitor Action Against Hunger ‘s ICT standards
To be carried out as specified in the “Kitlog” (Logistics Kit) under the supervision of the head of the logistics department in collaboration with the IT and telecommunications managers at the Paris & New York headquarters.
- Ensuring Action Against Hunger standards for the use of IT and telecoms equipment are upheld;
- Supervising the data back-up system; Network access Storage (NAS) & remote sync
- Monitoring the mission’s antivirus protection, ensuring compliance with antivirus software usage guidelines; ensuring software updates are deployed at individual workstations;
- Implementing and supervising the data backup policy and related procedures across the entire mission;
- Suggesting possible improvements.
Mission 4: Provide training, technical assistance and support to users
- Training users on the correct use of IT resources and respecting IT security rules;
- Training users and key personnel (radio operators, field coordinator, logisticians) on the use of resources and respecting procedures;
- Providing technical support to the head of the logistics department in the definition of IT requirements for future programmes & Planning;
- Providing users of telecommunications resources with the information necessary for their daily use.
Mission 5: Technical assistance and support to energy systems in the mission
- Aid in solving minor technical issues related to generators & solar system
- Providing technical support to the head of the logistics department in the definition of energy requirements for future Planning & Budgeting;
- Work in closely with field log officers in making sure the energy system works efficiently
- Inform the logistics department of any significant repairs to be done;
- Suggesting possible improvements
- University Degree in Information and Communication Technology
- At least 4 years relevant working experience within INGO
- Very good knowledge of the Windows operating system (Windows XP, Windows 7 & Windows 10) and of Microsoft Office 2010 and 2016
- Good knowledge of IT equipment and maintenance
- Able to network connect computers and peripherals and share resources (printers and files)
- Good knowledge of system security and network security
- Good knowledge of wireless and network technologies
- Good knowledge of HF and VHF radio systems
- Knowledge of satellite and VSAT technology desired
- Good writing skills – Good understanding of data back-up strategies
- Excellent skills in communications, knowledge transfer and teaching
- English desired
- Very flexible and patient.
- Excellent Organization skills, self-motivated ,proactive and able to accomplish set deadlines
- Good computer skills-especially IT softwareDemonstrate excellent negotiating skills
- Excellent communication skills & networking skills
- Good analytical and reporting skills
- Coping with high workload, irregular working hours and sometimes challenging working environments.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Demonstrate team spirit
- Knowledge and adherence to Humanitarian Code of Conduct
- Somali National
Applications, should include a CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
email@example.com not later than 24 June 2019 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line**. IT Officer-Mogadishu**
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position is open to Somalia nationals