Roles and responsibilities
Health & Safety Compliance
- Set out a yearly schedule with the technical works team and contractors to ensure full compliance on health and safety checks as per the UK standards and guidance
- Update and maintain health and safety check documentation for confirmation of works completed
- Set out a yearly schedule of health and safety related communication campaigns to improve awareness and compliance on health and safety procedures at the British High Commission Nairobi
- Conduct health and safety induction briefings with new starters
- Act as secretary to the Health and Safety Committee
- Spot check contractors to ensure they are operating in full compliance with health and safety standards
- Manage the health and safety budget of approximately Ksh 2,000,000 per annum
- Act as contract manager for any health and safety related contracts, including drafting terms of reference for new tenders
Estates Team Administrative Support
- Carry out monthly store checks for all stores at the BHC ensuring correct procedures have been followed and all paperwork corresponds.
- Carry out inspections of properties after the furnishings team has completed the cleaning and furnishing of properties in readiness for new occupants.
- Arranging for monthly meter readings with the utility companies
- Liaise with Deputy Estates Manager on purchasing of new curtains/white goods/furniture for upcoming property refurbishments.
- Maintain property files with up to date lease agreements and inventory records
- Update Pyramid (internal property management software) with any changes in inventory records, property compliance records, and utility usage
- Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Health & Safety Experience and/or Education
Strong Decision Making skills
- Willingness to take initiative in own work
Proficient in computers
- University Degree and/or College Diploma
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Inventory / Store Management or administration
- Budget / Finance Experience
- Estate Management or Administration
- Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
Other benefits and conditions of employment
- Members of staff are entitled to paid annual leave, which is earned, from the day they commence employment. Entitlements are as follows:
- Grade A2 – 25 days and then 30 days after 5 years’ service
- In addition to annual leave, the BHC normally observes no fewer than 9 and no more than 14 Kenyan and British public and religious holidays in a year. These vary from year to year and are at the discretion of the High Commissioner. A list of holidays is published each year.
Subject to the Flexible Working Scheme (see below) normal office hours are:
- Monday to Thursday: 0715 – 1600
- Friday: 0745 – 1300.
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply online by 28th June, 2018
For more information and job application details, see; British High Commission Health & Safety Compliance Officer Nairobi Jobs