Date: May 14, 2019
Location: Nairobi, 110, KE
No Relocation Assistance Offered
# 73498 – Nairobi, Nairobi Municipality, Kenya
Scope of Responsibility:
The Retail Environment Manager responsible for aligning our in-store tactics with those of the Customer(s) to ensure we get our products into the store, off the shelf, and into the home of our shoppers cost effectively and more efficiently than our competition. They must develop and support the partnership between CP and the customer(s) by helping to align our category/brand strategies and their shopper strategies to increase demand and customer support for our profitable growth.
Specifically, the incumbent is responsible for establishing Retail Marketing within the CDT structure.
To facilitate consistency of process and execution, the REM will need to regularly implement procedures and processes as determined by Retail Marketing.
The REM is responsible for developing local and adapting regional marketing plans by applying his/her expertise on local consumer, trade and the retail environment dynamics, and media environment.
They are responsible for the CDTs marketing activities implementation, working closely with both Consumer Marketing in the Strategic Growth Center and the Customer Development Team to align and monitor execution of the category and brand customer strategies. The individual will play a leading role in the local co-ordination of brand management activities.
Additionally the individual will play a leading role in customer specific co-ordination of brand management activities. The individual plays an integral role in enhancing demand through Colgate’s customers in a cost-effective way by:
5P Definition & Deployment
- Leveraging retail environment/customer-specific shopper insight learning to build team expertise, support selling stories, and exploit customer(s) opportunities
- Appropriately tailoring the 5Ps by RE (developed by Retail Marketing) to the local countries and customer(s) formats, based on the Retail Marketing fundamentals and considering the RE strategies and customer strategies and policies & the RE & customer-specific shopper insights
- Developing Category Management partnerships and attaining Category Advisor Status with strategic customers (with guidance/support from the Retail Marketing Manager) to influence customer strategy and 5P definition and deployment
- Ensuring pre- and post-evaluation of all Major activities along with Finance (results vs. objective, implementation accuracy, P&L impact etc), supporting with qualitative commentary, communicating results to the commercial team, and using the results of evaluations to refine consumer & customer promotions / activities and tactics.
- Ensuring Sales and Store Management are supplied with relevant, value-added and easy to use channel and category expertise, guidelines and materials for management and execution of 5P strategies/tactics in-store in that retail environment
- Ensuring that distribution objectives for CP products are met in all retail environments in utilizing relevant third party services
Commercial and Business Planning Process
- Providing input on retailer perspective (category roles applied, category strategies in use, scorecard measures etc.)
- Assessing customer performance (shipment and consumption data) for CP and total category vs. benchmarks, by Retail Environment, to identify opportunities to grow total category and CP sales/profits
- Developing commercial category plans by Retail Environment which grow total category and CP sales
- Responsible for the development of shopper programs and activation, with guidance from the Retail Shopper Marketing Manager (SGC)
- Communicating 5P targets to Retail Marketing (SGC) & Operations and monitoring implementation
- Working with Retail Management to ensure mechanisms are in place to monitor 5P performance at store level (Mandated assortment, OOS, pricing, shelf space & location, promotion efficiency & implementation, POP)
- Developing consumer expertise in the CDT by working with the Brand Manager and consumer Insight professionals to analyze existing data and design and implement new studies
- Understanding the objectives and strategies of the key brands in each category.
- Ensuring all learning’s are leveraged fully in development of brand and customer strategies and plans
- Gaining access to scanner data for top customers in order to drive fact-based decision-making, improve promotional ROI and overall business performance for CP and the customer
- Consistently applying Category Management learning and techniques to day-to-day business, and exploitation of new opportunities. Developing annual category & shopper plans and integrate these into the JBP process.
- Tailoring new product sell-in presentations to the strategies and performance of the customer(s)
- Coordinating special events (sell-in, internal CP communication, materials management etc.) in cooperation with Operations
Shopper and Retail Environment Expertise
- Providing input to the Brand Manager on Go-to-Market (brand launches / re-launches / line extensions, consumption models.. ) plans development by tailoring Go-to-Market objectives, activities and sell-in materials to the CDT’s
- Understanding the local competitive environment and strategies
- Regular tracking of competitive activities (NPD, consumer activities, media & pricing)
- Understanding the objectives and strategies of the key customers within the CDT overall and for each category
- Ensuring all learning is leveraged fully in development of brand, channel and customer strategy and optimization of the 5Ps for their customers.
- Supporting deployment of a Terms and Conditions framework which is based on simple, transparent and pay for performance principles, and ensuring fair and equitable resource allocation customers ongoing
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required. Undergraduate coursework in Business and/or a Masters in Business Administration is desirable.
- A proven track record of performance with at least 3-5 years of increasing marketing/sales responsibility, preferably some experience in customer management
- Fluent English
- Previous experience working in a matrix environment
- International business experience
- Secondary language
1. Results oriented:
Demonstrates high energy in tackling challenging goals; executes with speed and clarity; simplifies systems and processes to eliminate unnecessary work; overcomes barriers to achieve results; holds people accountable for delivering results
2. Planning / Priority setting:
Sets realistic milestones and actionable plans to support successful project achievement; monitors progress and adapts plans according to change in circumstances; anticipates and removes potential roadblocks and develops contingency plans when needed; manages expectations of others and negotiates priorities
3. Trade Understanding and relationships:
Adapts to rapid changes by customizing the way Colgate does business with customers in the different channels; works to understand the objectives and priorities of key customers; understands the key factors driving change in the trade environment and the implications for both Colgate and its customers.
4. Consumer/Shopper Understanding:
Has a broad based of knowledge about the consumer (attitudes, habits, shopping behavior) for each channel; works with consumer insight professionals to define business goals and specific research objectives prior to developing trade research programs.
5. Business/financial Analysis:
Uses objective, fact based information (customer data, research, SAP, syndicated data) to make decisions; understands drivers of profitability and margins for both CP and the customer; develops insightful conclusions from complex information; knows how to build and manage a complex trade spending budget.
6. Cross Organizational Relationships:
Encourages collaborative planning and problem resolution across channels and categories; prioritizes what’s important across functions, channels, categories, and geographies; encourages others and personally develops good working relationships with professionals in other departments, regionally, globally, and in other countries.
Keeps people well informed of plans, goals and objectives; provides clear understanding of job priorities and performance expectations; clearly and simply expresses ideas and concepts
8. Category Management:
Understands the strategic importance of category management and drives use of it in key accounts; has expertise in interpreting and applying the category management 8 step process.
9. Promotional Excellence:
Drives the use of innovative and customized trade promotions focused on the customer’s consumer and channel and conducts post analyses to learn from results; selects creative ways to leverage and invest trade money to drive customer’s performance and profitability.
10. Business and Global Perspective:
Stays abreast of external business developments and understands their potential impact on Colgate’s performance; brings cross disciplinary knowledge to bear on issues and opportunities; focuses on profitability and considers cost options when making decisions; actively integrates external and internal best practices and trends.
Retail Category Management Assistant, Customer Development Manager, Brand Manager, Retail Environment Manager, Retail Shopper Marketing Manager
Career Development Options:
Retail Environment Manager, Senior Brand Manager, Customer Development Manager, Retail Category Management Team Leader, Retail Shopper Marketing Manager.