Organization Name: Center for Reproductive Rights
Job Title: Deputy Director, Global Legal Program
Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Programme Management
- The Deputy Director, Global Legal Program (GLP) reports to the Senior Vice President, GLP (SVP) and is responsible for ensuring smooth implementation of GLP’s programs, providing program guidance, supervising GLP senior management staff, and providing oversight of substantial program and financial management. Working closely with the SVP, Regional Directors (RDs), Director of Legal Strategies and Global Operations, the deputy director ensures the smooth operation of the GLPs key day-to-day functions.
- Along with the SVP, the incumbent is accountable for the achievement of all key programmatic goals and objectives. They are responsible and accountable for the development, communication and execution of strategies, as well as resource mobilization to ensure successful delivery and sustainability of the mandate of the Center in the regions.
- The Deputy Director, GLP works closely with the RDs and supports and mentors them to strengthen the external relations and engagements in the regions.
- This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Strategy development and Strategic Planning
- With the SVP GLP support and mentor Regional Directors in providing strategic vision and direction for the Center’s role as a global leader on the advancement and protection of reproductive rights in the regions—playing a facilitative role in the development of both the organization’s long-term strategies and shorter-term tactical plans for achieving key objectives.
- Generate ideas and develop systems for fostering innovative thinking and robust partnerships in support of strategic plan implementation.
- Ensure strategy alignment between the regions and the Center’s strategy and support the integration of the Center’s GLP strategies to maximize impact.
Annual Planning and Implementation
- In consultation with SVP, RDs and with GLP Operations, provide strategic guidance, oversight, and support in developing and implementing annual plans in support of the Center’s strategic objectives and priorities.
- Ensure alignment and effective implementation of program activities in the regions with the Center global mandate.
Leadership and management
- Supervise the directors in the regions, providing direction, feedback, and support to enhance their ability to perform at their maximum potential.
- Collaborate with SVP GLP and support GLP operations to establish streamlined and efficient processes and protocols to ensure cross-departmental collaboration among programs and coordination with the Center’s communications, development, and administrative operations.
- With the SVP and the regional directors, lead the development of integrated regional external relations plan and priorities (aligned to organizational priorities) and represent the Center with senior levels of government, UN and regional bodies, foundations, NGOs, and media in their regions.
- Support and mentor the regional directors in fostering positive, strategic and effective collaborations with NGOs, policy makers, private-sector lawyers, and other strategic partners in their regions to achieve impact.
- Work closely with the SVP, GLP, Development and SEAL to establish and support organizational fundraising goals in the regions.
- Support the regional directors in the successful cultivation and partnerships with government donors, foundations and other development partners in the regions.
- Support the expansion of the scope and impact of the Center’s pro bono partnerships and other strategic networks.
- Proven track record as a member of senior management and demonstrable experience in senior program management and programmatic leadership across geographies in the field of human rights, women’s rights, social justice, or a related field preferably with an international organization;
- At least 12 years of experience in program and operations management, including leading initiatives to empower senior managers to develop innovative strategies and build
- Demonstrated track record in business development and in identifying and nurturing strategic partnerships;
- Proven track record in resource mobilization and in cultivating and sustaining donor relations and experience with major donors’ processes, including demonstrated track record in program design and funding proposal development;
- Demonstrated experience leading sustainable processes of global growth and expansion and building teams to achieve measurable impact and results;
- Experience in oversight and management of multi-million-dollar budgets;
- Demonstrated international work and expertise, including experience living and working at the field level in the Global South;
- A firm grounding in human rights and strong knowledge of international and/or regional human rights systems and mechanisms coupled with a firm grasp of global political realities related to women’s and girls’ rights, reproductive rights and reproductive health;
- High emotional intelligence, demonstrated leadership skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and commitment to and enthusiasm for building and maintaining personal relationships;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with internal as well as external partners and other organizations;
- Exceptional oral and written English; capabilities in at least one other major language desirable;
- Ability to travel at least 30% of the time required; and
- Strong commitment to the Center’s mission, purpose, and values.
- Strategic thinking: Applies big-picture thinking while also focusing on the details of implementation.
- Decisiveness: Consistently makes sound decisions in a timely manner supportive of the Center’s mission, core values, and strategic objectives. Blends vision and judgment.
- Collaboration: Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
- Receives and Provides Direct Feedback: Actively gives and requests feedback to and from peers, supervisors and direct reports (If applicable) about work products, behaviors, values, style and approaches with a view on how this impacts self, other individuals and teams.
- Transparency: Consistently applies openness and honesty in communicating decisions and plans to team members.
- Commitment to learn: Applies a growth mentality to their own and their team’s (if applicable) development. Promotes a culture of learning by modeling inquisitiveness and an openness to viewing mistakes as an opportunity to learn and improve.
- Passion for Coaching, and Mentoring Staff: Empowers and motivates employees and creates opportunities for learning, development, and leadership, with a focus on harnessing skills for the future development of team members. (if applicable)
- Accountability: Follows through on each commitment made to individual contributors, teams and partners and proactively informs others of any delays that occur along the way. Holds team members accountable.
- Integrity: Possesses impeccable integrity and personal and professional values that are consistent with the Center’s high standards and mission.
- Empathy: Serves as an empathetic, approachable leader who engenders trust and confidence. (if applicable).
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Demonstrates comfort with ambiguity and calculated risk.
How to Apply
- For more information and job application details, see; Center for Reproductive Rights Deputy Director, Global Legal Program Jobs in Kenya