Organization Name: Farmster
Job Title: Head of Operations
Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Operations
Farmster is Kenya’s first social marketplace for the agricultural sector. We use technology to connect the country’s 5+ million farmers to local buyers and other actors, and are building a game-changing platform to accelerate the development of the agricultural sector in Kenya and beyond. Our platform includes an SMS Chatbot for farmers and a Mobile App for buyers, which have just been launched.
We are looking for a Kenyan professional with 5-10 years of relevant work experience in a management role, and a passion for serving smallholder farmers and for technology. The role is full time and will be based in Nairobi, but may start out on a more flexible basis. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Degree in Commerce/ ICT or a business-related field; preference for MBA degree, and for candidates with experience in digital marketplaces and/or growth stage tech companies;
- Work experience of 5-10 years preferably managing in a high-paced B2C or B2B environment;
- Knowledge/ Work experience in a techn-enabled marketplace or platform or agribusiness will be an added advantage;
- Strong relationship building, planning and organizational skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to stay in constant communication with a remote team;
- A proactive team player;
- Knowledge of Kenyan ICT and agribusiness landscape;
An updated CV with contacts of three referees, 2 who must be professional and must have supervised you at some point, the other referee can be a colleague in the same professional field.
- Work directly with CEO and CTO to inform business development, strategy and technology.
- Guide all Kenyan daily operations and set strategy to grow our business;
- Supervise other senior staff in Kenya including Director of Marketing & Partnerships and Head of Sourcing;
- Oversee and improve daily execution of our core revenue model of sourcing and delivering horticultural produce from farm to retailers, as well as oversee strategic explorations on future revenue models including through buyers using the marketplace App, digital advertising and possible sales of inputs;
- Formulate and manage the implementation of farmer and buyer engagements within our current and future areas of operation, and ensure that growth meets targets;
- Manage, prospect and acquire farmers and buyers in the region through development and implementation of a holistic marketing plan in partnership with media partners;
- Optimize customer experience for both farmers and buyers on the Farmster platform;
- Ensure Farmster Agents and Supervisors conduct their jobs well and meet targets set by executive team;
- Develop and document performance measurement criteria for Agents and Supervisors;
- Develop strategic partnerships for growing the business and usage of Farmster platform;
- Respond to Farmster’s farmer and buyer -related issues so as to provide consistent quality of service;
- Develop and communicate training plans for the Farmster Supervisors, Agents and other staff, and assist with hiring and training as Farmster grows;
- Frequent travel to field of operations in rural Kenya (roughly 15-25%).