Organization Name: ILRI
Job Title: Head of Operations
Job Category: Operations
Application Deadline: 28th July 2018
Playing a strategic role, the job holder will have an oversight of all service units listed below;
- Service units: Housing, Catering & Conferencing Services, Engineering and Facilities Management, Supply chain, Stores, and Transport.
- All outsourced service providers: cleaners, gardening & grounds maintenance, selected transport services
- Formulating current, intermediate and long- term strategies and plans for the Operations department
- Leading the development and implementation of operational and administrative infrastructure to support ILRI’s current, planned research programs and ensuring implementation is in line with ILRI’s policies, SLAs and processes
- Proactively identifying the departmental needs, risks, areas for improvement and providing creative and flexible solutions to support efficiency and effectiveness
- Provide expert advice to the Director, Corporate Service and IMC on initiatives and projects in area of responsibility
- Overseeing (and broker directly as necessary) negotiations with different stakeholders and ensure efficient and cost-effective services are delivered
- Providing coaching and leadership to the management team in the department to increase their capacity and improve service delivery in their respective units/ functions
- Overseeing the departmental budget and ensure the proper allocation of financial and material resources, monitoring expenditure and making adjustments/ re-alignments as necessary
- Promoting a culture that demonstrates transparency and accountability in the operations of all service units
- Assisting the Corporate Services Director to maintain appropriate administrative relationships with other international research centers, national institutions and other institutions having programme, or other linkages, with ILRI in Kenya, including organizations hosted by ILRI
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Management, Commerce or related filed
- At least 12 years of management experience in comparable organization
- A track record of achievement in mature, well established organization that have been required to adapt quickly to changes
- Experience in international, multi-cultural settings preferably in developing countries leading and managing diverse teams
- Proven success in planning, organizing and managing budgets and people
- Self-motivated with sound judgment and sensitivity to cultural diversity
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Position level: The position level is 5A
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ on or before 28 July 2018. The position title and reference number HP/06/2018 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.