Organization Name: Amref Health Africa
Job Title: Lab Specialist – Biomedical Engineering
Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Lab Technology
Main Purpose of Job
- The Laboratory Specialist – Biomedical Engineerwill be embedded at National Public Health Laboratory Services (NPHLS) and will oversee the management system for tracking equipment maintenance and calibration.
- The role holder will work with NPHL, and CDC Kenya to develop training program to strengthen
the equipment maintenance and calibration.
Key Area Activities
• Strengthen national equipment maintenance and calibration center through the support of training, mentorship and equipment maintenance and calibration.
• Provide technical assistance and mentorship on equipment calibration and maintenance at the national calibration center.
• Support calibration and certification of equipment for the national calibration center for auxiliary laboratory equipment and biosafety cabinets.
• Support refresher trainings for biomedical engineers and technologists.
• Support maintenance of the air flow and HVAC systems with the national BSL 3 laboratories
• Build the capacity of the MOH led national equipment management programme.
• Provide Technical Assistance and sustain ISO 17025 standards at the National Equipment calibration center, Center of Excellence
• Installs new and relocated equipment by adjusting, establishing, testing, and calibrating performance of laboratory equipment in viral load and
HIV-R laboratories in KEMRI labs.
• Provide technical assistance to implement a cost recovery model at NPHL equipment calibration center by charging services offered to the private sector that can be ploughed back to the system
• Ensures annual reaccreditation of field Biological safety cabinet certification by the NSF/ANSI 49 International standard.
Education & Knowledge
• Degree in Medical Engineering
• Training on Laboratory equipment calibration from a recognized institution for the following
measurements: volume, mass, temperature, rotational speed and pressure
• Training on ISO 17025
• Micro soft proficient
• 2 years of experience in installation, testing, maintenance and repair of instrumentation, power supplies and electro/mechanical power transmission devices for clinical, biomedical or radiological equipment including class II Biological Safety Cabinets, or equivalent, is required.
Skills and Competences
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
• Excellent analytical skills, presentation and problem solving skills.
• Innovative with a high degree of initiative
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Careful measurement and analytical skills.
• Good attention to detail.
How to Apply
- For more information and job application details, see; Amref Health Africa Lab Specialist – Biomedical Engineering Jobs in Kenya