Organization Name: Mercy Corps
Job Category: HR
Job Type: Full Time
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The People and Strategy Team ensures that Mercy Corps has the people, strategies and learning that will enable it to be a world-class, cutting edge, humanitarian organization, creating transformational change in the world. We do this through the recruitment, retention and development of the best global talent. Our aim is to drive strategic thinking and planning at all levels of the organization; create a robust body of research to guide us internally and externally and steward the organizational culture. To achieve this we align conversations on learning; keep the organization focused on what has the greatest impact; leverage our comparative advantages in the crowded and competitive international relief and development landscape; and assure we are constantly learning from our work and the external environment.
The Global Talent Team is responsible for filling 450+ HQ and international positions in 40+ countries around the global on an annual bases and provides guidance on national recruitment best practices. The Recruitment Officer will support the recruitment efforts in the Africa which is a newly formed and high volume region.
General Position Summary
The Recruitment Officer is a high-energy individual who ensures timely and efficient recruitment of employees for Mercy Corps for the Africa region. S/he will work closely with the Global Recruitment Advisor and the Sr Recruitment Advisor in identifying exceptional talent to advance Mercy Corps’ mission. This role is the primary support person for all recruitment activities for expatriates in the Africa region. may also support other People related initiatives and projects.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Full-cycle Recruitment Support
- Revise Position Descriptions ensuring compliance with Mercy Corps standards and job requirements
- Advertise positions on Mercy Corps’ website and on external portals; circulate externally and internally
- Source for applicants through resume banks, social networking sites (e.g., LinkedIn, Facebook), associations, competitor organizations, and other groups
- Conduct reference checks and share feedback with hiring teams
- Utilize Applicant Tracking System (Jobvite) to manage recruitment from requisition to hire, ensuring compliance with Mercy Corps practices and applicable state and federal laws
- Shortlist candidates based on established requirements and present them to the hiring manager in accordance with the Global Recruitment Advisor
- Conduct phone interviews and provide notes and recommendation to hiring managers
- Draft interview guides when appropriate and collect interview evaluations
- Guide post-interview discussions, when appropriate, to identify and execute next steps
- Follow Mercy Corps established approval process to secure approvals for offer and consistently track and make regular updates in the Applicant Tracking System (Jobvite)
Communication and Influence
- Negotiate offers and notify unsuccessful candidates with individualized response for internal candidates
- Communicate effectively about Mercy Corps’ recruitment process and procedures while ensuring they are respected and implemented
- Ensure excellent relations and communication at all times
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility None.
Reports Directly To: Global Recruitment Advisor
Works Directly With: Talent Acquisition team, People and Strategy Team, Regional Program Directors, Country Directors, and in-country Recruitment Teams, Regional Program Team, Senior Leadership Team, Finance, National HR teams
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in human resources, business administration, social science or relevant field.
- 2+ years of experience in full cycle recruitment/talent acquisition.
- Proficiency in MS Office, internet searching, and applicant tracking systems and use of social media for sourcing talent.
- Understanding of talent acquisition in international relief and development environments is preferred
- Ability to communicate, influence and problem solve effectively across diverse cultures and geographical distances with sensitivity.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to multitask and prioritize effectively.
- Excellent in English, written and spoken is mandatory
- Fluency in French is preferred
The successful individual will be a doer who is proactive and willing to jump in as needed. S/he will have the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, while remaining focused on the quality relationships and will be able to work effectively as a member of a highly visible team whose performance is key to the enduring success of Mercy Corps. S/he will be flexible, resilient, possess sound judgment and have a good sense of humor.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya. Travel up to 10% may be required to support recruitment needs, attend annual global People Team meeting or conferences in areas where Mercy Corp operates.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment