Organization Name: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Job Title: Senior Medical Officer
Job Type: Full Time
Job Location: Nairobi
UNHCR has a highly mobile, global workforce which comprises around 11,000 staff members and nearly 5,000 colleagues on flexible working arrangements serving in over 460 locations in 130 countries. Some 40% or more of UNHCR’s workforce is posted in difficult and remote duty stations where working and living conditions can be challenging. Some locations are impacted by security risks and ongoing conflicts and ensuring their safety and wellbeing is of paramount importance.
The Staff Health and Welfare Service (SHWS) is a part of the Division of Human Resources (DHR) responsible for ensuring that the workforce of UNHCR has a safe and healthy work environment, in the interests of good functioning and productivity. Occupational health focuses on enhancing and maintaining:
- the health of people at work, ensuring they operate safely; and
- the organisational effectiveness of UNHCR by providing expert advice to management.
The Medical Section includes some 15 professional and support staff providing occupational medical services and support to UNHCR staff. The Senior Medical Officer reports to the Chief, Medical Section, and will have supervisory responsibilities.
In addition to work with individual staff and teams in direct person-to-person service, the Section is responsible for overall implementation of the UNHCR’s Duty of Care commitments as well as for the development of relevant policy documents that promote staff health and psychosocial welfare.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Diploma of Medical Doctor (MD).
- Minimum 8 years of clinical practice as a Medical Doctor/ Practitioner of which at least 1-2 years should be in an international organization and/or in hardship duty stations.
- Experience in occupational health and safety and/or travel medicine and/or tropical and infectious disease, and /or emergency medicine, minimum 2 years¿ experience.
- Project design and management experience (education and competency to successfully lead and direct projects).minimum 2 years¿ experience.
- Training in project management and minimum 2 years¿ experience in implementing health related projects.
- Certification in OHS.
- Certification in emergency medicine (PHTLS, ACLS or equivalent).
- Supervisory experience of other health personnel.
- Excellent communication, presentation and drafting skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in English and French (for the position in Dakar, Senegal).
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Advance Degree in occupational health/public health/community medicine/family medicine/international health.
- Experience in managing employee assistance programs like HIV or substance abuse or other wellbeing programmes.
- Demonstrated leadership and team building skills.
- Good knowledge of French, Spanish and/or Arabic is an asset.
Interested and qualified? Go to UN High Commissioner for Refugees career website on public.msrp.unhcr.org to apply