Organization Name: NCCK
Job Title: Sonographer
Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Lab Technology
Main Purpose of the Job
- Provide patient care essential to radiographic procedures, recognizing emergency patient conditions and, if necessary, initiating lifesaving first aid.
- Apply knowledge of anatomy, physiology, positioning and radiographic techniques to competently demonstrate anatomical structures on a radiograph or other imaging receptor;
- Determine exposure factors to achieve optimum radiographic technique with minimum radiation exposure to the patient;
- Exercise problem-solving and critical-thinking skills and judgment in the performance of medical imaging procedures;
- Provide patient care essential to radiographic procedures, recognizing emergency patient conditions and, if necessary, initiating lifesaving first aid;
- Communicate and interact therapeutically with patient populations that are increasingly diverse and experiencing generational, cultural and ethnic shifts;
- Administer ionizing radiation to produce diagnostic images with prudent judgment;
- Apply knowledge of principles of radiation hygiene for the patient, self and others;
- Demonstrate expected ethical and professional behavior within the profession’s scope of practice;
- Examine images for the purpose of evaluating technique, positioning, and other pertinent technical qualities;
- Utilize physical strength and capabilities by assisting and lifting patients onto and from radiographic tables, by carrying various accessory equipment, and by manipulating radiographic equipment;
- Competently perform a wide range of radiologic procedures on children and adults and other clients of diverse populations;
- Collaborate with others in the medical community to promote standards of excellence in the imaging sciences area;
- Participate in quality assurance activities;
- Demonstrate an understanding of advanced imaging modalities, and use the general education course requirements to promote lifelong personal and professional growth;
- Promote a positive learning environment for the education and clinical skills development of radiography students;
- Exercise security and confidentiality with all patient medical information;
- Use appropriate skills in researching, retrieving and discriminating between all sources of medical information using modern technologies.
- Available on call and during emergency situations
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by medical
administrator from time to timeSo
- Assess patients and their clinical requirements to work out which radiographic techniques to use;
- Perform a range of radiographic examinations on patients to produce high-quality images;
- Take responsibility for radiation safety in your work area, including checking equipment for malfunctions and errors;
- Manage referrals to ensure patients receive a radiation dose as low as reasonably possible;
- Supervise visiting staff and patients in radiation work areas;
- Help in more complex radiological examinations, working with doctors such as radiologists and surgeons;
- Provide support and reassurance to patients, taking into account their physical and psychological needs;
- Supervise radiography and imaging support assistants;
- Keep up to date with health and safety guidelines, including ionizing radiation regulations, to protect yourself and others
- At least Secondary School Education (KCSE).
- Degree/Diploma in Diagnostic Radiography
Higher Diploma in Sonography will be an added advantage
Other Competencies/Abilities/Skills Required
- Ability to work independently, under pressure while at the same time adhering to strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Computer literacy
How to Apply
- Qualified and interested candidates should download the NCCK Job Application Form from the NCCK website.
- Candidates are advised to STRICTLY send the application form ONLY, duly filled in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating job title in the email subject line.
- The application forms to be received before close of business on 25 November 2020.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.