Job Title: Communications Assistant – Maternity Cover
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Reports to: Communications & Partnership Advisor Start Date: 15th June 2020
Department: Strategy & Partnerships Duration: 3 – 6 Months
The AECF (Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund) is a nonprofit institution supporting early and growth
stage businesses – through provision of patient capital – to innovate, create jobs, leverage
investments and markets in an effort to create resilience and sustainable incomes for rural poor
and marginalized communities in Africa.
AECF’s strategy is focused on agribusiness/agriculture and renewable energy sectors with
increased support to climate technologies, deepened focus on gender, youth, and employment,
aimed at attaining the institution’s vision of ‘A Prosperous and Enterprising Rural Africa’.
Since 2008, AECF has invested in 268 businesses across sub-Sahara Africa focusing on Agribusiness,
Renewable Energy and Climate Technologies. As at 2018, we have impacted more than 17 million
lives and created over 12,000 jobs and leveraged over US$ 750 million in matching funds from the
The AECF is headquartered in Nairobi with offices in Cote d’ Ivoire and Tanzania. During the
pandemic, all staff are working remotely with occasional access to our offices (within government
social distancing requirements).
We are currently recruiting for a maternity cover for the Communications Assistant to work
remotely during the Covid-19 pandemic , once restrictions are lifted to be based in our Nairobi
Under the guidance and supervision of the Communications & Partnership Advisor, the
Communications Assistant will support the implementation of the AECF’s communications
strategies to increase awareness of AECF activities with key stakeholders and building a vibrant
AECF brand. She/he will support the development of communications products and manage
content for the AECF website and social media. The role holder will be expected to work closely
with key staff in the AECF Partnerships and Communications unit in aggregating, packaging, and
tailoring information, and disseminating it to stakeholders with the aim of establishing AECF as a
thought leader in Africa in the identified areas.
• Develop a monthly social media calendar to manage the various social media accounts,
generate new digital media content, and ensure consistent and regular posting of
messages across all platforms;
• Liaise with program and sector leads in the documentation of project activities, milestones
and successes in the form of case studies, human-interest stories, video and photo stories
for internal and external dissemination (within Covid-19 restrictions);
Events Management (virtual during Covid-19)
• Support staff participation in key strategic events, including registration and speaking
• Coordinates communications activities and events ranging from press conferences to large
seminars and meetings, involving external and/or internal audiences;
• Support all virtual events – webinars, virtual press conferences etc. – during Covid-19 and
suggest ways to improve and maximize attendance/engagement;
• Consolidate the investee, donors and other key stakeholders’ database for all sectors;
• Update and maintain the calendar of virtual events.
Knowledge, Insights & Learning
• Promote knowledge sharing in the organisation by engaging different units and facilitating
seamless exchange of information with both internal and external parties;
• Continuously monitor and evaluate the communications activities reach and impact as well
as provide period reports or as requested;
• Support in the development and dissemination of key publications to selected
• Monitor the African and International media for relevant news stories (agriculture,
agribusiness, renewable energy, off-grid energy, gender, youth);
• Build and maintain a database of African journalists and media houses across the African
• Support the communications team with media planning activities e.g. media tour, media
round table, and virtual events during Covid-19;
• Produce news summary for dissemination to staff;
• Support staff engagement activities, including setting monthly staff meetings, activities,
talks, brown bags, etc.;
• Lead on the development and circulation of the internal newsletter;
• Support in the planning and execution of roundtables, brown bags etc once social
distancing restrictions are lifted.
• Support the teams and liaise Admin Assistant on event-planning and logistics, including
booking venues, set up, dispatch of collaterals;
• In collaboration with admin and procurement comms department procurement related
requirements including requisitions, development of TOR, supervise the production of
collaterals ensuring that the required quality and brand colors are adhered to inventory of
the communications material in store etc;
• Maintain a list of all current suppliers and keep an archive of their work and collateral
• Develop a catalogue of videos, publications, papers, case studies of all AECF related
• At least three (3) year experience of working in a communication, public relations or media
role, working in development sector is an added advantage.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze and communicate complex information to a wide audience
including non-technical audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, providing support at a range
of organizational levels.
• Demonstrated ability to identify and produce compelling human-interest stories.
• Proven influencing, negotiating and interpersonal skills in a range of contexts and for multiple
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects, to prioritize work and meet
• Demonstrated experience of campaign design and the use of social and mass media for
• Experience in planning and coordinating major public events;
• Significant experience in development-related activities in Africa;
• A working knowledge of French will be an advantage
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role,please submit your application quoting in the subject line ‘Communications Assistant – Maternity Cover – AECF/CAMC/2020’ and attach a detailed CV, e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org to be received on or before 5th June, 2020. Only shortlisted
candidates will be contacted. For more information on the AECF, please visit www.aecfafrica.org